Saturday, December 20, 2008

My Goodness, Have a Guiness: A Belated Update from Dublin

So it has been a couple weeks now, but Meg and I spent a lovely long weekend in Dublin, Ireland. I have to say it was probably one of the cities I enjoyed the most. It was also comforting to hear people speaking english. I don't think I really thought about it until we got there and it was like "whoa I can actually talk to people and I sort of halfway fit in???"

It seems like a really diverse city with people living there from all over the world. I can see why. It is a big city, but it's very manageable and the downtown area is easily walkable. And the people! Everyone we met there was extremely friendly and kind. Even the bus and cab drivers will go out of their way to help you.

In between our few days in Dublin, I went on a day-tour across Ireland to the Cliffs of Moher on the west coast. It was a pretty spectacular sight when we arrived, but the drive itself was almost as breathtaking. The countryside there is just unspeakably beautiful and green. We also had a hilarious Irish tour guide from Tipperary who randomly burst into songs in his thick Irish accent. It was an enjoyable day, to say the least.

There's not too much else to say other than the fact that I had a really good time and I definitely want to return to Ireland in the future. I will let the photos do the rest of the talking. :)

Dublin at night. Bustling.

In the Kilmainham Gaol, a very famous Irish jail.
On our way to the Guinness Storehouse!
We tasted the roasted barley and learned all about making beer!
Eventually we made it to the "Gravity Bar" that looks over Dublin.
Waiting for our Guinness.
Enjoying my free pint. :)
At the National Gallery of Ireland.
Crazy lights on one of the busy holiday shopping streets.
So festive!
Behind a convenience store at sunrise on our journey across Ireland.
Limerick and the river shannon.
The Cliffs of Moher!
At the windy, windy cliffs.
Other view from the Cliffs. So pretty.
In Doolin, where we stopped for a lovely lunch of seafood chowder.
Wandering around Doolin.
The Burren. Some crazy rock deposit. A natural phenomenon I guess.
The Burren.

It was windy there, too. Eek!

That's all folks! So long for now.

No comments: